For those occassions when you want to indulge in a homemade ice cream sundae or banana split – meet your “go to” chocolate sauce!
Dutch processed has a deeper, more chocolately taste than other natural cocoa powder. Warm chocolate pairs well with chillies – such as in this chocolate sauce! The taste is subtle, and you will enjoy the little zip this chocolate sauce brings to your tastebuds…if you want to omit the chillies – go ahead as this sauce is great either way!
- White sugar (1/2 cup)
- Cocoa powder (preferably Dutch processed, Fair Trade) (2 tbsp)
- Sea salt (1 pinch)
- Salted butter (2 tbsp)
- Water (3-4 tbsp)
- Vanilla extract (1/2 tsp)
- Cayenne (1 pinch)
- In a saucepan, off heat, whisk together the dry ingredients until well mixed (sugar, cocoa and salt)
- Add water to dry ingredients and put on stovetop on medium-high heat, stirring constantly
- Add butter, continue stirring and bring to a boil for approx. 1 minute
- Add cayenne and stir in until well blended
- Remove saucepan and contents from heat and add vanilla
- Serve immediately over ice cream sundaes or banana splits
How to store this chocolate sauce
Any leftover chocolate sauce (not that there will be any!) can be stored in a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to one week. You may notice that some of the contents near the mouth of the jar crystalize but you can just remove that and heat it up for more enjoyment.
If you enjoyed this, here is another dessert recipe you’ll love:
Pear Cake – this cake is so flavourful. It’s great to make when pears are in season
Get SOCIAL with us and SHARE THE LOVE
Chocolate Sauce for Sundaes ?
What words can be used to describe the rich, chocolately tastes that this chocolate sauce will bring to your ice cream sundae or banana split!? The warm chocolate pairs beautifully with the subtle heat that the cayenne brings to this sauce. Try it – you'll love it!
- 1/2 cup White sugar
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder (preferably Dutch processed, Fair Trade)
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 2 tbsp Salted butter
- 3-4 tbsp Water
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 pinch Cayenne
In a saucepan, off heat, whisk together the dry ingredients until well mixed (sugar, cocoa and salt)
Add water to dry ingredients and put on stovetop on medium-high heat, stirring constantly
Add butter, continue stirring and bring to a boil for approx. 1 minute
Add cayenne and stir in until well blended
Remove saucepan and contents from heat and add vanilla
Serve immediately over ice cream sundaes or banana splits
Copyright 2020 ApronsOnPeople.com
If you enjoyed this recipe, you can help others find us by…
Giving the recipe a rating and comment
Forward this page to your friends
Thanks for being an awesome part of our community! xo Cheryl & Madi